The owner of the REX Company, based in Nürnberg, Germany, was Max Ernst. In 1933 he married the daughter of Karl Arnold and from 1935 on he was in the management of the ARNOLD Factory and in 1948 he became the managing director of ARNOLD and stayed until the mid-1970s. REX was a sister company of ARNOLD. In 1955, the first evidence of the existence of REX appeared in the form of an ad for plastic toys. In 1957 REX started cooperating with TUDOR ROSE. REX marketed the TUDOR ROSE products in Germany and also used its molds for producing toys. Starting from 1958 until 1973, ARNOLD and REX together advertised in many toy magazines. ARNOLD produced some of the REX toys as well!
Plastic body with cut out windows and very good details of front and rear hood, door seams and engine air louvers. REX produced the VW as a Panel, Transporter or Single Cab Pickup Bus with items for the bed such as barrels. A partial plastic chassis with front wheels drive friction motor with black plastic wheels and axles attaches to the body on the Pickup Bus. Rear wheel drive on the Panel and Transporter Bus.
Just to note: Similar REX VW Bus models are currently still produced in Mexico by DAROCA JUGUETES, without friction motors, probably using modified old REX molds. They were sold in plastic pouches with a printed cardboard hanger.