Arnold GmbH & Co KG was founded in 1906 by Karl Arnold in Nürnberg, Germany. They did quite well and by 1940, they had 4 company locations. Only the location in Mülhouse survived the war and from November 1945, production slowly was resumed from this location. Later the other locations were rebuild. In 1952, ARNOLD was the first in Germany to produce hard plastic bodies for their toy cars. This was the start of a very prosperous era for plastic toys and the beginning of the end for tin plate toys. As from 1960, ARNOLD concentrated themselves mainly on production of trains (N-size) and accessories for trains.
The ARNOLD Oval VW made with a semi-hard plastic body with cut out windows. Body details of front and rear hoods, door seams, taillights, license plate light, VW emblem and round horn grilles. Tin metal
chassis with a friction motor, rubber tires, with front wheel steering. Detailed tin plate lithograph interior of the Split Window VW era, with steering wheel and shinny metal bumpers. Chassis stamped with the ARNOLD insignia. The body however has some distinct characteristics of the SCHRÖDER VW. It seems, as also seen on other VW toys, that there must have been a connection between ARNOLD and SCHRÖDER, but also with MIGNON.